Business Continuity Management
Catastrophic events like fire, explosions and other major incidents that lead to the loss of systems can have a devastating impact on the operations of organisations and in some cases injury or loss of life. To be prepared for dealing with major incidents organisations should:
- Prepare a Business Continuity strategy and policy to demonstrate its commitment to Business Continuity
- Conduct a Business Impact Analysis to identify the key risks and consequent impacts and to establish the timescales within which their business areas would require specific systems and applications to be restored.
- Prepare an Incident Management Plan so that senior management know their responsibilities and actions they will need to take in the event of a major incident.
- Develop Business Continuity and Recovery Plans covering all the key business functions so that staff are able to maintain services and readily recover to normal operations when the situation allows.
- Conduct exercises to ensure that managers and staff clearly understand their Business Continuity roles and have practised executing the plans in a pressured situation before a catastrophic event occurs.
- Have in place a Disaster Recovery Plan so that the IT and telecommunications services lost in a major incident can be restored in a cost-effective way.
Developing a Business Continuity Management System is a challenge for many organisations. They recognise the importance of Business Continuity Planning and many of their customers now require evidence that they have a Business Continuity Plan. However few organisations have the in-house expertise to write an effective plans.
JEC has extensive experience in all aspects of BCM and can apply this knowledge to assist organisations to ensure that their Business Continuity Plans are robust, fit for purpose and reflect best practice.
We have assisted a diverse range of clients including Kingfisher Group (owners of B&Q), Leics. County Council, MS Society and Wales and West Utilities.
Our consultancy services include:
Development of Business Continuity strategies and policies
Audit of Business Continuity Management documented plans against Best Practice and ISO22301 to identify gaps in preparedness.
Development of Business Continuity and Recovery plans
Business Impact analysis to identify risks, their impact and organisations’ preparedness to mitigate these risks.
Readiness assessments for Business Continuity Standard ISO22301
Training in Business Impact Analysis and Business Continuity Plan development.
Development of Incident Management plans
Design and facilitation of exercises to test Business Continuity Plans.
Disaster Recovery planning
Acting as a Trusted Advisor providing a ‘sounding board, a critical friend, or a source of informal quality assurance.
Our Business Continuity clients include:
- Leicesteshire County Council
- NCC Group
- South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
- Wales and West Utilities
Operations Director, Lyreco
At Lyreco, we have recently completed the development of a Business Continuity Plan with the help of John Eary. His professionalism, efficiency and knowledge ensured the project was completed on plan and with buy-in from the whole management team. I would recommend John to other organisations looking for similar solutions>
Business Continuity Manager, Leicestershire County Council
It was really refreshing to work with a consultant who understands the challenges and could articulate some useful and practical suggestions for improvement- plus he offered useful advice even after the assignment had completed. I can fully recommend John's services, and would be happy to provide a formal reference on request>
Eddie White MBA
VP - Service Delivery Operations, AccessPay
John supported AccessPay as a consultant during the preparations for our ISO22301 Business Continuity assessment. This included assisting with Risk Assessments, training staff & planning exercises. We were working to a very tight timeline and John helped us to keep on track and to budget. His efforts were rewarded when BSI Certified AccessPay to ISO22301 in July 2015. If you have a similar project I would highly recommend contacting John for sound advice and a professional service.>
Facilities Manager, MS Society
“Thanks. there was very positive feedback. The exercise was well structured; everyone was full engaged and it highlighted a number of areas we need to address. Plus it was an enjoyable day, thanks for all your support.”>